Friday 5 April 2013

Hearthstone Launch Art

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to paint an image that would be the announcement piece for Blizzard's new digital card game, Hearthstone.

Blizzard Hearthstone - Launch Art
Orc wins!


I figure you blog readers might like to know, beyond its blizzard-y content, I based the composition loosely around one of my very favourite paintings -- The Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks by Ilya Repin.

http://www.museumsyndicate.com/images/1/1235.jpg

 There are few works of art that I think get across such a great sense of story.  Repin was a master of this.  I learned a lot about story with this piece -- makes you wish the man were still alive so we could all go ask him :)

9 comments:

  1. I noticed that when I saw your picture :)
    Actually, I'm myself from Zaporozhye, it's in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent point of inspiration to create a great work of art! I love the design! It has become my favorite wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible, any chance of showing any progress work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing drawings, congratulations.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome choice of reference and awesome painting! I truly love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are super talented! Happy to find your blog. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always in Awe mode when look at your works!and this is also one of my favorite paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magnificent artwork! Your art is now the Desktop on my home pc. Well done, and many thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you ever be able to sell prints of this piece ? I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.